This has become a regular part of our menu. One of my family’s favorite soups.
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs Bone in Chicken (I find marked down chicken breasts but any cut would do or even left over chicken)
- 1 Medium onion minced (I use a mini chopper to make them disappear into food)
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- Italian or Poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 Cup of rice (white or brown long grain)
- 1 lb bag of frozen broccoli
- 2 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1 cup of milk
- Water approximately 2 quarts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
|Cooking the chicken and creating stock.|
|De-boned chicken going back into the pot.|
|Finished soup. Just a quick note it will thicken even more as it cools.|
- Mince garlic and onion and add to chicken in pot.
- Add seasoning, lemon juice and water to the pot. Make sure that the water covers the chicken by approximately 2 inches.
- Bring the pot to a boil.
- Let boil for approximately 5 minutes and then lower heat to medium. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and de-bone carefully.
- Add chicken, broccoli and milk to the pot and bring back to a boil.
- Add rice and reduce heat so that the soup will simmer. Allow 30 minutes for rice to cook.
- Adjust heat to low for 15 minutes so that the soup will thicken.
For a little bit different flavor top bowls off with Parmesan cheese or cheddar.