|Setting to rise on top of our wood stove worked perfectly.|
This is one of our most favorite one rise breads. It is great for toast, French toast and croutons.
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cups of water
- 6 cups of flour
- 2 packages of yeast (5 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 TBLS sugar (honey will work work as a substitute)
- 2 tsps salt
- 1/4 tsps baking soda
- Warm milk and water, hot to touch but not scalding.
- Grease 2 8×4 loaf pans
- In large bowl mix together 3 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Stir milk into the mixture and mix well.
- Slowly add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, mix until the batter is stiff and formed.
- Place in prepped pans, cover and let rise until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- If a recipe calls for milk you can substitute water.
- The photos above used a 1:1 mix of all purpose and whole wheat flour.